After installing WordPress, you may find yourself wondering what you need to do next. This is the second part of our top 10 essential steps to take after installing WordPress. Find Part One here.
6) Arrange the Reading Settings
Want your latest posts to show up on your front page? Customize your page display to make it happen! Just go to the Settings area of your dashboard and choose the Reading settings.
7) Delete Unneeded Themes
If you’ve tried out a few different themes before settling on the one you’ve chosen, be sure to delete the unused ones. This will keep your site safer and lessen the chance of getting hacked. In the menu, find Appearance, then go to themes. Hover over the theme you want to delete, choose Theme Details, and delete the theme.
8) Beef Up Your Security
There are multiple ways to increase the security of your site. These are just a few ways to do it:
- Prevent against brute force attacks by installing a plugin. We recommend Lockdown WP Admin to hide the admin login page. Check out this video to see how to use this plugin to your advantage.
- Look into installing WordPress Exploit Scanner to keep you alert of any suspicious code in your file and database tables.
- We also recommend WordPress AntiVirus.
9) Install a SEO WordPress Plugin
You might have some amazing content on your site, but it would all be for naught if your posts never get a chance to be seen. Make your site SEO-friendly and optimize your posts for SEO with a plugin. We recommend WordPress SEO Plugin by Yoast.
10) Back It Up
You definitely don’t want to lose any of your website progress, so be sure to schedule some regular backups. Check out this video to learn how to manually backup your site in cPanel. If you don’t have the time to constantly backup your site, Doteasy also offers an automatic site backup service. It can be one less thing to worry about.
So that’s it, 10 essential steps to take after installing WordPress! Do you agree with our list? Let us know what you think.